It’s a good time to be talking about being green – this week is Earth Week. I propose it’s time to stop talking and do something. Why? Here’s just a few facts:
- The EPA reports toxic chemicals in our home cleaning and personal care products are 3 times more likely to cause cancer than outside pollutants.
- The EPA warns toxic chemicals in household cleaners cause women working at home to have a 55% HIGHER cancer risk than women working outside the home.
- The California Public Research Group warns Phenol, which is used in most household disinfectants, can cause cancer, deactivate the sensory nerve endings, damage the liver, kidneys, andcentral nervous system.
- The Mayo clinic warns Formaldehyde (trade name: Quaternium 15) in our household and personal care products can cause headaches, depression, joint pain, chronic fatigue, ear infections, and loss of sleep. Formaldehyde is a neurotoxin and carcinogen.
Do you still want to use toxic products in your home? Are you committed to doing the same thing you’ve always done because it’s easy? Or are you committed to the health and safety of your family?
Here is a list of known toxins in our everyday products:
DOVE BEAUTY BAR: Quaternium 15: Formaldehyde-Carcinogen.
Causes cancer, dermatitis, neurotoxic, sensitizer-poisonous, and irritant to the skin, eyes and mucous membranes.
JOHNSON’S BABY SHAMPOO: Quaternium 15: FD&C RED 40: Formaldehyde-Carcinogen
CREST TARTER CONTROL TOOTHPASTE: Saccharin: Carcinogen contains Phenol Fluoride: Carcinogen
If you accidentally swallow more than a pea-sized amount of this, you must contact the Poison Control Center immediately!
This warning does NOT appear on the tube.
TIDE & CHEER DETERGENT: Detergent:
Can cause temporary respiratory tract irritation. Symptoms include stinging, swelling or redness.
Can cause burns to the eyes and tissue damage to the skin, as well as cause burns to the mouth, throat, and stomach if swallowed.
Severe eye, skin, and respiratory irritant. Can cause asthma attacks.
CLOROX BLEACH: Sodium Hypochlorite: Corrosive.
Can be fatal if swallowed. Eye, skin, and respiratory irritant. Especially hazardous to people with heart conditions or asthma.
CASCADE: Sodium Hypoclorite:
Can be corrosive. Can cause burns to the eyes and tissue damage to the skin, as well as cause burns to the mouth, throat, and stomach if swallowed.
FANTASTIC, FORMULA 409: Butyl Cello Solve: Neurotoxic:
Eye and skin irritant. Damages central nervous system, kidney and liver.
Readily absorbed through the skin. Damages blood and body’s ability to make blood.
WINDEX AEROSOL GLASS CLEANER: Butyl Cello Solve (See above) Neurotoxic.
LYSOL DISINFECTANT: Dioxin; Carcinogen. 500,000 times more deadly than DDT. Ethyl Alcohol: Eye, skin, respiratory tract irritant.
Details on the above date are available in The Safe Shopper’s Bible” by Dr. Samuel Epstein, MD & David Steinman. Macmillan, 1995. Lysol data from “theEnvironmental Health Newsletter.”
CALL TO ACTION: Visit www.debthinksgreen.com and see where toxins lurk in your home. Then fill out the form or give me a call. It’s my job to show you how easy, affordable and simple it is to just switch stores.